By Lee Crosby
Ready for a fresh new twist on your lunch or snack routine? Then you’ll love this delicious white bean and basil hummus with a hint of lemon. As tasty as it is healthy, you can make it in 15 minutes flat! Better yet, it’s amazingly versatile. Here are just a few ways to enjoy it:
- Spread over thick slices of tomato
- Rolled into a Mediterranean wrap with sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach
- As a dip for whole-grain crackers or pita chips
- Slathered on a hearty slice of bread, topped with sprouts and avocado as an open-face sandwich
- 3½ cups (2 15-oz cans) cooked cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (you’ll need 2 lemons, with some juice left over)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Water, as needed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped basil leaves (packed)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. salt
- Combine beans, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth, at least 3 minutes.
- Add olive oil to food processor and blend again until velvety smooth, another 2-3 minutes. (See note.)
- If needed, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, blending between each tablespoon, until desired thickness is reached.
- Add basil, chives, lemon zest, and salt. Pulse food processor until ingredients are mixed, but herbs are still visible.
Note: Add olive oil after blending the beans for fluffy, restaurant-style hummus!
Photo and recipe from www.Veggie-Quest.com